What is a S0C4 Abend?
S0C4 Abend is a protection exception when a virtual address cannot be mapped with a physical address.
When S0C4 Abend occurs
- An Invalid address referenced due to subscript error
- In a group Move the length of the receiving field was defined incorrectly
- Moving variable length record which is larger than the receiving field’s length.
- Read/Write a file which has not been opened in the program.
- Read/Write a file after EOF.
- Invalid parms passed through linkage section.
- Used DD dummy with logic that moves high values to FD at end of read.
- Tried to use CALL within COBOL SORT Input output procedure
- Using GOBACK in COBOL SORT output procedure
How to Resolve S0C4?; ; ; ;
- You can check for missing SELECT statements in COBOL program
- You can check if there are any un initialized indexes or subscripts in the program.
- You can check if the program is reading any file which is not opened.
- You can check if the program is missing SELECT ASSIGN clause
- You can check if the LRECL matches with the length of file specified in file descriptor in COBOL.