Basic TSO commands
Commonly used TSO commands:
This mainframe tutorial is about TSO commands.
1. Create a new dataset modeled after an existing one
ALLOC DSN(ABCXYZ.SOURCE.NEW) NEW LIKE(ABCXYZ.SOURCE)
This command will allocate a new dataset <USERID>. ABCXYZ.SOURCE.NEW having the same DCB as <USERID>.ABCXYZ.SOURCE
2. Concatenate dataset to a program for use as input or output
ALLOCATE with the SHR or OLD keyword and the DDN keyword
ALLOC DDN(SYSPROC) SHR REUSE DSN(ABCXYZ.REXX)
This command will concatenate the dataset <USERID>.ABCXYZ.REXX to the ddname SYSPROC in your ID job.
You can ALLOC using the SHR or OLD keyword.
3. Remove the concatenation between a file and a program.
4. Copy a file
5. Display the attributes of a dataset
(This will list the attributes of the dataset USERID.ABCXYZ.REXX)
6. Display the attributes of a PDS and list the member names
LISTDS ABCXYZ.REXX MEMBERS
7. Display the dataset names and ddnames currently in use in your TSO session.
LISTALC STATUS HISTORY SYSNAMES
8. Display catalog information about a specific dataset.
LISTCAT ENTRY(ABCXYZ.REXX) ALL
9. List the names of datasets whose names begin with a specific high-level qualifier.
For example, LISTCAT LEVEL(USERID)
10. Deletea dataset
Which is the same as saying DELETE ‘USERID.ABCXYZ.REXX’
11. Deletea PDS member (not the whole PDS)
12. Renamea dataset or library
RENAME ABCXYZ.CLIST ABCXYZ.REXX
13. Authorizeaccess to your files with RACF.
PERMIT 'YOUR USERID’ ID(USERID TO AUTHORIZE) ACCESS(READ)
14. Send a messageto a TSO user. In this cmd, the message is cancelled if the user is not logged on.
SEND USER(USERID) ‘message’
If you give * in place of USERID, you’ll get the message.
15. Waituntil the user is able to receive the message.
SEND USER(USERID) ‘message’ WAIT
16. Send a message to another user, so that if the user is not logged on currently, the message will be delivered when the user logs on.
SEND USER(USERID) ‘message’ LOGON
17. Senda dataset to another user in another node.
XMIT NODE.USERID DSN(ABCXYZ.REXX)
18. Receive a datasetor library sent by another user with XMIT
19. Display messages sent to you while you were logged off
20. Display current job status of jobs that you have submitted
21. Cancel a job that you have submitted
22. Cancel a job that you have submitted and discard the printed output
CANCEL jobname(job-number) PURGE
Click the +1 button below to share it with your friends and colleagues
Share this if you liked it!